ABE Initiative Master Degree and Internship Program –The “African Business Education Initiative for Youth” (hence referred to as the “ABE Initiative”) was unveiled by then-prime minister Abe Shinzo at the 5th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD V), which was held in Yokohama in 2013.
This comprehensive five-year strategy offers 1,000 African adolescents the chance to study at Japanese universities and complete internships at Japanese businesses. Through the creation of a strong human network between Japan and Africa, the ABE Initiative draws on the idea that human resource development is required in both the corporate and public sectors of Africa.
The initiative was revived as “ABE initiative 3.0” during the TICAD 7 in Yokohama in 2019, offering chances for 3,000 African youngsters to study and intern in Japan over the ensuing six years. Since 2014, more than 1,400 people have started the program from all 54 countries, and more than 1,200 have finished it.
As a result, members of the ABE Initiative now have access to a variety of human resource networks. In addition, numerous Japanese businesses and ABE Initiative members have worked together in a variety of ways to support the growth of the private sector in Africa.
Purpose of the Programm
- to support the young generation willing to contribute to the development of industries in Africa.
- to foster persons that bridge between Africa and Japan through a deep understanding of Japanese society and Japanese business culture
Qualifications and Requirements Applicants must satisfy the following
(1) Nationality – Citizens of one of the 54 African countries
(2) Age – Less than forty (40) years of age (as of April 1st, 2023)
(3) Educational background – Bachelor’s degree (equivalent to at least 16 years of academic background)
(4) Working experience /status Applicants for the category of “From the Private Sector” are required:
- to have working experiences,
- not to be employed by Japanese companies at the time of joining the program (arriving in Japan).
Applicants for the category of “From Government” are required:
- to have more than 6 months of working experience at their current organizations and
- to obtain permission for application, and
- to secure reinstatement from their current organizations.
※Any employment before university completion is not considered a working history.
Only full-time work with the acquisition of a diploma, such as night school, is approved as working experience.
- English language Proficiency – Adequate English skills both in written and oral communication to complete the
- Master’s Degree such as; TOEFL iBT:80 / CEFR: B2 (estimated score)
- *The required level of English for admission may differ according to the university
Duration: September 2023 – August 2026 (Maximum period)
- 6 months as a research student if applicable
- 1 or 2 years as a Master’s student
- Internship after graduation for the limited participants only (details are to be determined) [NOTES]
- Participants may not be able to arrive in Japan by September 2023, depending on the situation of the pandemic. In such cases, the participants are requested to start the program on an online basis from their respective countries or enrollment will be postponed until participants are allowed to come to Japan in case the university does not provide online lectures.
Internship at Japanese Private Companies
- All participants are expected to do internships at Japanese companies during their stay in Japan (ex. summer break, after graduation, etc.).
- Internship programs are carried out in English. In principle, any reward or compensation should NOT be paid to both the companies and the participants. Details of the internships will be fixed at the hosting
- Gender Equality and Women‘s Empowerment: Women are encouraged to apply for the program. JICA makes a commitment to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment, providing equal opportunity for all applicants regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity.
2. Application Form
- A-3. 2023 Application Form for ABE Initiative (includes Annex1&3) (Excel/316KB)
- A-5. Annex.2 Details of Current and Previous Work, Research Plan, and Career Plan After Graduation (Word/22.0KB)
- C-4. Application Form_Cover (ABE, SDGs) (Japanese) (PDF/153KB)
- C-5. Example of Application Form (PDF/916KB)
3. University Information for Applicants
- B-1. 2023 University Information for ABE Initiative (Excel/142KB)
- B-3. Question form for University (Excel/11.7KB)
For inquires regarding the General Information, contact the below
JICE: [email protected]
All applications should be submitted by email to the following addresses: [email protected] / [email protected]
The subject of the email should be as follows: “[ABE Initiative FY2023] Submission of Application”
Application Deadline: Deadline for submission of applications: 07 October 2022
Visit the School’s Official Webpage for More Information:
Not interested in this scholarship, check more at: Latest international/local Scholarship
University of East Anglia International Country Awards 2022/2023, UK
The University of Queensland Science International Scholarships in Australia for 2022/2023